Animated show for children Bluey was the most-watched show across all streaming platforms in November, with 3.8 billion minutes watched during the month, according to new data from Nielsen. Dethrones the rule of the court series Suits which racked up tens of billions of watched minutes over the previous four months to win the title.
Article by Mary Whitfill Roeloffs for Forbes USA – translated by Lisa Deleforterie
- Blueyaired on Disney+, was the most-watched show of November, followed by Surgeons on Netflix with 3.7 billion minutes, Suits on Netflix and Peacock, with 3.3 billion minutes on both platforms, and Friends on Max, which has been watched for 3 billion minutes.
- The new data means a decline in the popularity of the series Suits with Gabriel Macht, Patrick Adams and Meghan Markle.
- Suits became the most-watched Netflix series it acquired (not produced itself) with 3.1 billion minutes watched per week, Nielsen said, joining the list of titles as You AND Gilmore Girls who have benefited from a belated resurgence in popularity following their arrival on streaming.
- Other programs that secured the title of the most watched program this year include the action series S.WAT on Hulu, Netflix and Paramount+, which was watched for nearly 5 billion minutes and won the title in June; Queen Charlotte: A Bridgerton Chapter was the most-watched series on Netflix in May with 5.4 billion minutes; AND Night agent AND Love is blind were the most-watched series in April, although Niselen did not release per-minute figures for those titles.
- External banks was the most-watched series in March with 4.7 billion minutes on Netflix and New Amsterdam in February, it racked up 4.6 billion minutes watched across Netflix and Peacock — the January Nielsen report did not list the most-watched title for the month.
Series Bluey was commissioned by the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) and the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) as a program aimed at pre-school viewers. It debuted on Australia’s ABC Kids in 2018, and Disney acquired the international rights in 2019. The series follows a puppy named Bluey and her family, as well as her Dalmatian best friend Chloe, her labrador neighbor Lucky, and her school friend Mackenzie, a border collie. The series first aired on Disney Junior in the United States in 2019 and was added to Disney+ in 2020. Common Sense Media’s seal of approval and widespread critical acclaim led to the mass success of the series, becoming the most downloaded program in ABC history in 2019 video-on-demand. In July, BBC Studios attributed its record annual sales of $2.7 billion (€2.4 billion) to “thriving brands such as Bluey AND Dancing with the stars “. RTÉ, Ireland’s national public broadcaster, reports that Australian company Moose Toys has attributed a 25% increase in annual turnover to products derived from Bluey after getting a contract to make toys based on the show.
Also read: ‘Beckham’: Netflix mini-series follows the exciting journey of a football icon